OVO Network Is Increasing Its Number Of Chalets With “Accueil Velo” Cyclists Welcome - Accreditation
OVO Network, chalet rental specialists in the French Alps, is increasing the number of its chalets that have the Accueil Vélo (cyclists welcome) accreditation.
Aside from skiing, the French Alps are renowned for their amazing cycling routes and events; biking enthusiasts will find no end of adventure for both road cycling and mountain biking, with challenging climbs, great views, and flatter valleys for all abilities.
Tim Andrews, founder of OVO Network comments, “The number of cyclists coming to the Alps continues to grow each year. The chance to cycle some of the famous cols and to follow in the tracks of the Tour de France are a major attraction for road bikers.
"But what these cyclists also want is a comfortable base to return to after a long day in the saddle. That's where our chalets are proving very popular. Many are well equipped for cyclists, with secure storage, cleaning facilities, bike repair areas and extras such as hot tubs and saunas to help ease tired muscles.”
In response to the growing demand for high end cycling chalets, OVO Network is working with its chalet owners to help more properties gain the Accueil Vélo (cyclists welcome) accreditation. To achieve this, chalets must pass several checks, such as proximity to cycling routes and secure bike storage, which many OVO Network properties already have.
Andrews adds, "Accueil Vélo is aiming to help France become the world's top destination for cycling tourism by 2030. We want to support this by encouraging our owners to apply for the accreditation. According to YouGov, 1 in 5 UK adults watched the Tour de France in 2021, so we know the demand for accommodation suitable for cyclists is there.”
OVO Network works closely with all its property owners to help them to maximise the potential of their chalets. With a strong demand from cyclists, chalet owners have increased occupancy rates, especially for the low seasons of spring and autumn shoulder seasons when cycling is at its best.
Upcoming cycling events in the French Alps include:
- 5-12 June: The Criterium du Dauphine [stage 8 passes through Thones & Le Grand Bornand where OVO Network properties are located]
- 11-12 June: Le Belier NEW Mountain bike event in La Clusaz
- 10-12 July: Tour de France [stage 9 Chatel, stage 10 Morzine – Megeve where OVO Network properties are located]
The following chalets are ideal for cyclists and/or already offer Accueil Vélo accreditation:
- Chalet Crechoua in La Giettaz - A new five bedroom, five bathroom chalet set in the pretty mountain resort of La Giettaz with easy access to fantastic cycling, including the famed Col des Aravis. The chalet has bike storage, an electric bike charger, a hot tub and a sauna, as well as Cool for Kids Extra facilities such as swings and table tennis. 7-nights rental from €1990.
- Chalets Caramel & Nougat in Manigod - These two luxury chalets in the Annecy Mountains region have everything a cyclist could want and have the Accueil Vélo accreditation. Set just off the famed Col de la Croix Fry, which is regularly part of the Tour de France, there's great cycling on the doorstep. The two chalets share an indoor pool, with both having a hot tub, and Caramel also having a home cinema. 7-nights rental from €3090.
- Chalets Macaron and Meringue in Le Grand Bornand Chinaillon - Le Grand Bornand is regularly a stage finishing point in the Tour de France, and these two designer chalets have the Accueil Vélo accreditation. Semi-detached, making them a great option if you're holidaying as a large group, each has its own hot tub, secure bike storage, and easy access to world-class cycling. 7-nights rental from €1690 for Macaron and from €2490 for Meringue.