Gondola Works is a diverse coalition of stakeholders, canyon users and businesses who believe solving the long-term transportation problems of Little Cottonwood Canyon is a generational challenge and now is the time to get it right. Involved organizations include:
- Alta Ski Area
- Ski Utah
- Love Communications
- Exoro Group
- CW Management
Gondola Works supports a high-capacity gondola that can operate in all weather conditions with low carbon emissions is the strongest transportation solution for Little Cottonwood Canyon. As the most avalanche-prone highway in North America, rubber-tired vehicles are not a long-term solution for carrying people safely on SR 210. Due to heavy snowfall, vehicle traction is the cause of many unacceptable traffic delays in Little Cottonwood and gondola removes that variable from the transportation equation. Protecting the natural resources of the canyon including the air, watershed, wildlife habitat and land is imperative. The gondola is a cost-effective, minimally impactful transportation solution that can handle today and tomorrow’s Wasatch Front population.
The growth in the Salt Lake Valley has brought along with it increased mountain recreation, particularly in beautiful Little Cottonwood Canyon. The year-round transit challenge is the result of avalanches, landslides, and auto and bus traffic. Doing nothing keeps us on the same unsustainable trajectory we’ve been on for decades. With UDOT’s proposed zero emission, high-capacity, sustainable gondola at La Caille, now is our chance to solve the congestion that exists now and preserve Little Cottonwood’s mountain access for the future.
OPPORTUNITY — PRESERVE CANYON ACCESS WITH LONG-TERM, SUSTAINABLE SOLUTION
UDOT is currently in its last public comment period of an Environmental Impact Statement to determine the best transportation system that improves the reliability, mobility, and safety for residents, visitors, and commuters who use S.R. 210. The gondola is one of two preferred alternatives being considered.
SOLUTION — GONDOLA AT LA CAILLE BASE STATION
UDOT has proposed a short-term solution and a long-term solution: gondola is the answer to this generational challenge! Not only is it the safest, but it is the only way to preserve the canyon and we have to solve for both.
SAFE & RELIABLE
- Reduces congestion in canyon & neighborhoods
- Provides secondary route for emergency egress
- Weather & avalanche resistant
- 36 minutes from La Caille base station to Alta
- Carbon neutral
- Protects watershed, wildlife habitat & existing trails
- Minimal concrete, pavement, & construction impacts
- 50-year life cycle vs. 14 years for buses
- Completes regional transportation loop
- Allows for crowd management
- Year-round operation
- Greater access for those with disabilities
- Expanded parking at base station
- Less expensive operation & maintenance
- Does not require added snowshed cost
- Increases tourism assets & economic opportunities