Adventure apparel brand FLŌA plans to use the sport science of flow to help improve how people ski and snowboard as it launches its inaugural winter sports collection
FLŌA, a new adventure sports brand, has launched its first baselayer for the 2018-19 winter season, and it’s aimed at skiers and snowboarders who are passionate about off-piste, like to venture away from the marked runs and perform at a high level in backcountry environments. The Backcountry Baselayer is designed to keep you warm and dry whilst hiking up, whatever the weather, and at the same providing you with power and support for your descent.
The Merino-Poly blend 4-way stretch fabric in a half zip style, is designed to enhance temperature and moisture management with targeted ventilation and mapped compression across a body-fitted top and pants – helping to increase blood circulation through the arms and legs whilst alleviating muscle fatigue. Cooling channels across the chest and lower back and closed hole mesh under the arms and between the legs helps trap air to create a self-ventilating microclimate without altering the body’s core temperature.
By combining the natural qualities of Merino with the engineered qualities of polyester, FLŌA’s ‘FLŌA-MAP’ technology uses the latest seamless manufacturing techniques and yarn construction, giving skiers and snowboarders a garment with advanced wicking properties and a package of technical features that are specifically designed for high-performance, off-piste terrain and backcountry riding on the mountain.
Founder of FLŌA, Fergie Miller, an experienced backcountry skier who competed nationally at junior level and who has overseen the training of over 2000 ski and snowboard instructors across Europe, North America and Southern Hemisphere with his previous ski and snowboard company Base Camp Group, said: “The word FLŌA is derived from Old Norse for ‘flow’ or ‘river’ and it was our inspiration for our brand. Anyone who rides off-piste understands the importance of being ‘in the zone’ and how having the right mental approach up on the mountain can transform how you perform.
"The Backcountry Baselayer is a state of the art technical garment that uses the latest technologies and manufacturing techniques to create a baselayer that you know you can trust and that will help you take your riding to that next level".
The team working with FLŌA includes Sean Pankhurst who designed World Cup football shirts for national teams in over 8 years at Nike and a product development team who incubated the Rapha cycling brand that recently sold to the Walmart family.
FLŌA designer Sean Pankhurst said, “FLŌA’s designed philosophy is inspired by adventure, a connection to nature and an enduring quest to push the boundaries of sport science, and whose form and function draws inspiration from premium quality and a luxury feel to create a design signature that is contemporary, considered and crafted.”
FLŌA is adopting a direct-to-consumer business model and will be available online, through pop-up stores across the UK and European Alps through carefully selected competitions and events and will be increasing its marketing and partnership activities over the coming months as we head into the winter season.
The Backcountry Baselayer is available now on Kickstarter with a campaign that ends on December 5, 2018. Customers who purchase a baselayer product during this period will receive up to 40% discount on their purchase.
- Blended Merino-Polyester Fabric: 190 gsm 40% Merino wool, 40% Polyester, 15 Polyamide, 5% Elastane
- Seamless knit construction – highly engineered capabilities and reducing bulk and irritation next to the skin
- Close hole mesh – micro-ventilation on the upper back, under the arms and between the legs without lowering core temperature
- Targeted sweat and cooling channels across the chest and lower back
- Compression on the arms and legs helps performance and recovery
- High-loft support on the shoulders for extra support wearing your rucksack
- 4 way stretch fabric – a body fitted garment for comfort and performance
- Funnel collar to keep your neck warm
- Raglan sleeve to avoid shirts lifting on the sides
- Angled thumb loops and extended arms beyond the wrist
- Heavy gauge knit on elbow areas for extra protection
- Knitted rib quality finish on the hem and cuffs
- Lower zip garage and reinforced stitching
- Curved side seams following the shape of the body
- Reflective FLŌA branding
FLŌA launched its Kickstarter campaign on 29th October and will be delivering its first baselayer to customers after the campaign in mid-December for Christmas and the start of the ski and snowboard season.