RugGear, one of the world's leading manufacturers of rugged mobile devices, introduces the RG170, an ultra-rugged 4G smart feature phone designed for professional use in extreme safety and working conditions, especially in the mission critical area. With the PTToC (push-to-talk over cellular) function (via a freely assignable PTT button), the RG170 also enables completely encrypted and tap-proof communication - the target groups here are authorities, security and rescue organizations. Weighing only 197 grams, the keys telephone with a 2.4" (6.1 cm) capacitive RGB display supports the strict industry standard IP69 and is therefore also protected against high pressure and steam jets.
In addition, the RG170 is one of the few devices in the field that also meets the US military standard MIL-STD 810H and is therefore protected against all types of liquids, dust, oil mist, vibrations, shocks and even falls from up to 1.5 meters onto concrete. The extremely sensitive microphone as well as a powerful 1.5-watt loudspeaker with up to 103 dB (even at a distance of 10 cm) ensure smooth and easily understandable communication via LTE or a push-to-talk app even in very noisy working environments. A further safety plus is the freely assignable SOS button, which can be used to automatically make dedicated emergency calls depending on requirements.
Reliability without compromise
The extra-large keyboard of the RG170 is easy to operate even in the most adverse working conditions and with dirty hands or gloves. Even in the most remote locations, the rugged smart feature phone is always ready for use thanks to support for 4G connectivity, Wi-Fi and essential industrial applications such as PTT (radio function), SOS and LWP (Lone Worker Protection). The battery is available in two sizes, 2,800 mAh and 3,120 mAh, making it easy to survive longer outdoor use. The robust belt clip on the back of the device holds the RG170 firmly on the body and thus allows hands-free telephony. The RG170 withstands temperatures from -20°C to +60°C.
Thanks to its compact and lightweight design with dimensions of 135.5 x 61 x 21.5 mm (L x W x H) and a weight of 197 grams, the RG170 sits comfortably in the hand and is easy to store.
Further equipment details are the 2 MP camera and a powerful LED flashlight for use in low light conditions or at night.
Fast working speed
The RG170 uses Android Oreo GO as operating system. In conjunction with the MediaTek MTK6739V quad-core processor with a clock speed of 1.5 GHz and 1 GB RAM or 8 GB ROM, the RG170 is able to perform all tasks quickly. In addition, Android GO allows access to a variety of apps to optimally adapt the RG170 to the respective operating conditions.
Growing market for push-to-talk mobile devices
One of the most important USPs of RugGear mobile devices is the consistent support of Push-to-talk over Cellular (PTToC, PoC or just PTT for short). This is a standard for mobile phones that enables quick and easy voice communication for groups in mobile phone networks based on the analog radio principle. The user can send a voice message to one or more recipients via his mobile phone with just one keystroke. The communication is completely encrypted and thus tap-proof, which is classified as "Mission Critical" for various applications at authorities and security companies. The following PoC functions are supported by RugGear devices:
One-to-One PoC Session: This is the basic form of transferring a conversation between two users.
- One-to-Many PoC Session: This feature allows the user to have a conversation with several other PoC participants in an ad hoc or pre-defined group.
- Instant Personal Alert: This function allows the calling user to tell another user that he wants to talk to him.
- Group Advertisement: This is the function to inform other users about the existence of a PoC group.
With the replacement of standardized, proprietary trunked radio services such as iDEN and TETRA, the demand for PoC-enabled mobile devices is growing massively. Market analysts predict that the push-to-talk over cellular market will grow from the current USD 5 billion in 2020 to a market volume of over USD 19 billion in 2027. It is already possible today for PoC and TETRA devices to communicate with each other in a network. The target group for PoC include public authorities, companies and security services that want to reach their field staff in a tap-proof, fast and uncomplicated manner.
Scope of delivery
The RugGear RG170 comes with the device, battery, quick start guide, USB data cable and belt clip.
- Capacity: 8 GB ROM capacity (expandable up to 128 GB with microSDHC)
- Memory: 1 GB RAM
- Size and weight: 135.5 x 61 x 21.5 mm, 197 g
- Display: 2.4 inch QVGA / 240 x 320 pixels; capacitive
- Processor: MediaTek® MTK6739V, 4xA53 1.5GHz
- Camera: 2 MP (AF) / Photos @ 1600 x 1200 p / Videos @ 480 p
- 4G: FDD-LTE: B1/3/5/7/8/20 (EU) B2/4/5/7/28A/28B (US)
- GSM: Quad band
- Bluetooth: 4.2 Low Energy
- Connectivity: Micro USB connector / headphone plug 3.5 mm
- Playback: Audio (MP3, MIDI, AMR, AAC, WAV) / Video (AVI, MP4, 3GP)
- Battery: 2,800 mAh or 3,120 mAh (battery exchangeable)
- SIM card: MicroSIM
- In the box: Device, battery, quick start guide, USB data cable, belt clip
Industrial and outdoor certifications:
- IP69: Waterproof to 1.5 m for 30 min., completely dustproof / drop-proof to 1.5 m; protected from high pressure and steam jets
- MIL-STD-810H: US military standard - especially protected against vibrations and falls from up to 1.5 meters
RugGear is a leading international developer and manufacturer of rugged mobile phones, smartphones and tablets designed for professional use in extreme safety and working conditions, especially in the Mission Critical area. The mobile devices are developed and designed by specialists in Germany (Lauda-Königshofen), the company's headquarters are in Hong Kong. RugGear's high-end devices support all types of mobile voice and data communication, LTE/private LTE, Google Chrome Enterprise, eMBMS (evolved Multimedia Broadcast Multicast Service) and especially the Mission Critical application Push-to-Talk-over-Cellular (POC or PTToC), which is increasingly replacing traditional PTT solutions such as TETRA in Europe or iDEN in the USA and other regions of the world.
RugGear's mobile devices are suitable for a wide range of industrial and outdoor applications and meet the most important standards (IP67/68/69, MIL-STD-810G/H, waterproof, shockproof, dustproof, etc.). RugGear was founded in 2006 by the CEO of the company Maverick Chen and is present in Europe, USA, Middle East, Australia and Asia. Since early 2020, Maverick Chen has further intensified the existing partnership with Martin Haaf, CEO of the German company i.safe MOBILE from Lauda-Königshofen. Together, the two manufacturers thus cover the three most important areas of application for the professional use of mobile devices in a leading global position:
- Mobile device providers for PTT (push-to-talk)/POC (push-to-talk-over-cellular) and mission critical applications
- Provider of complete solutions, for example for MDM (Mobile Device Management), PTT, MCPTT and POC (in cooperation with software partners)
- Mobile device supplier for hazardous areas of zones 1/21 and 2/22 (intrinsically safe devices).
RugGear cooperates globally with leading mobile equipment suppliers and operators as well as solution and integration providers to provide industrial customers with tailor-made solutions from a single source. RugGear products are "Certified by AIRBUS".