In Alta Badia, in the heart of the Dolomites a UNESCO World Heritage site, picnics are back in fashion. You can order a picnic basket from ten refuges taking part in this initiative and enjoy your meal in the peaceful meadows next to the hut.
It's going to be a different kind of summer this year, even in Alta Badia. Despite this, our region remains a charming place to visit and offers many sports activities and culinary delights to people looking for a holiday surrounded by nature and dedicated to relaxing outdoors.
One of the food and wine proposals is called "Mountain Picnic", which allows visitors to taste the best products of South Tyrol, while comfortably lying in a green pasture at 2000 metres above sea level. Tourists can order a picnic basket with a unique menu at the ten huts taking part in the initiative. Each mountain hut offers a different selection based on local specialities and products. Upon collecting your picnic basket, you'll also be given a blanket - no good picnic is complete without one! - and you can enjoy your picnic in the meadows near the huts. This allows all excursion enthusiasts to choose a safe spot to enjoy lunch.
The baskets can be purchased in advance by contacting the hut or collected directly, with no prior order, at the participating mountain huts.
These are the participating mountain huts and the specialities they will be offering:
- Ütia Crëp de Munt: Local sliced meats and cheeses, dumplings salad with “turtres” (local speciality, fried pastry filled with ricotta cheese and spinach or sauerkraut), apple strudel.
- Ütia I Tablá: Appetizer based on speck, smoked salami, local cheeses and bread, BIO barley salad, Alto Adige natural yoghurt with blueberry compote, Alto Adige apple.
- Ütia Pralongiá: Fresh goat cheese wrapped in speck on salad with a honey dressing, venison ham, stewed sauerkraut and “föies da soni” (fried potatoes pastry), local yoghurt with wild berries and crumble.
- Ütia de Bioch: Speck, smoked salami, pickles, hard boiled egg, horseradish, apple, cheese, bread, barley soup and “turtres”, Linzer cake.
- Ütia Jimmi: Fresh cheese with mountain herbs, walnuts, tomatoes preserved in oil and local salami, venison burger, rustic bread, sauerkraut salad with crunchy speck, mayonnaise with juniper aroma, local venison meat, hazelnut tart with wild berry jam.
- Ütia Saraghes: Appetizer with mixed cold meats made by “Lüch da Ciampidel farm”, including speck and cold salami, mixed salad leaves with fresh local cheese, hard boiled eggs (from free range chickens from a local farm) and smoked ham with an aromatic herb dressing, homemade chocolate and hazelnut cake with red currant jam.
- Ütia Lée: Summer salad with strips of beef, wrap with speck and Fodom-cheese, carrot cake.
- Ütia Las Vegas: Mixed salad with Mozzarella cheese, Püccia bread with cutlet, Linzer cake.
- Ütia Franz Kostner: Mixed appetizer of local products, “Piz da Lech” pasta salad, dessert of the mountaineer.
- Ütia Boconara: Boconara appetizer with cold meats, own smoked salami, local cheeses, spelt salad, fruit salad or strudel.
Once you have finished your picnic, you can bring the baskets back to the hut, showing respect to the natural landscape by leaving the meadow as you found it. The baskets will be sanitised before being used again. Prices range from 20 to 28 Euro per person depending on the menu selection.