SCARPA has led the ski market for a decade by building the world’s best-selling and highest performing backcountry ski boots, the award-winning Maestrale and Gea family. Leadership, however, requires constant evolution and improvement. For Fall 2021, SCARPA unveils the next incarnation of these ground-breaking, versatile ski boots, while adding to its ultralight family of backcountry boots with the new F1 LT WMN.
In a word, innovation is why SCARPA has led in the ski-touring market, and why its concepts have been imitated in the industry. The kind of innovation that keeps SCARPA leading the way is front-and-center in the new Maestrale and Gea platform, which offers several upticks in performance without adding weight, in addition to a new, more sustainable materials platform.
Since their original introduction in 2010, the Maestrale and Gea have set the gold standard in the industry by perfectly balancing the precision of a powerful downhill ski boot paired with the light weight and mobility of a true backcountry boot. Both the stiffer RS versions and the regular versions have undergone major evolutions and upgrades four times over the subsequent decade-plus, but their ethos remains the same – backcountry boots that hit the sweet spot between downhill and touring. Highlights of the new design include:
- Central to the Fall 2021 Maestrale and Gea’s new design is new 3D Lambda Frame construction in the lower boot that uses an I-beam design to reduce flex at key stress points that exist in all ski boots.
- The new 3D Lambda Frame on the lower boot works in tandem with a new Evo V Frame upper cuff, which uses a similar raised I-beam design to more effectively transfer power to the lower boot.
- The result of the 3D Lambda Frame and new upper cuff is improved power transfer to the ski without increasing forward stiffness from an already substantial 125 flex.
- A new, more powerful friction-free Speed Lock XT ski/walk mechanism reduces flex in ski mode and eliminates issues from ice buildup, while offering 60 degrees of cuff range.
- SCARPA also improves its environmental footprint by using new plant-derived materials. In the 120-flex Maestrale and Gea RS, SCARPA uses Grilamid® Bio, which is derived from the castor bean plant, in the bi-injection carbon-infused shell.
- In the regular Maestrale and Gea, Pebax Rnew is also derived from the castor plant. Pebax Rnew requires 29 percent less fossil fuel and puts out 32 percent fewer emissions in the process taking Pebax Rnew from raw to usable material. In addition, castor beans can be grown on arid land where other agriculture typically isn’t possible, so it doesn’t compete with food production and also offers an economic activity in places where other agriculture doesn’t take place.
- For every boot that SCARPA sells that include Grilamid® Bio or Pebax Rnew, SCARPA will donate $1 to Protect Our Winters (POW), a group that advocates for actions that combat climate change.
- The 3D Lamda Frame, Evo V Frame upper cuff and improved Speed Lock XT ski/walk mechanism are performance upgrades across the family of boots, including the Maestrale XT (1490 grams per boot), Maestrale and Gea RS (1450 and 1250 grams per boot), and Maestrale Gea (1440 and 1240 grams per boot). They retail for $899, $799 and $699 respectively.
SCARPA similarly revolutionized the ultralight ski-touring boot market in 2020 when it released its F1 LT, a boot that earned best-in-class accolades from a wide range of media for being the best ultra-lightweight ski-touring boot available. For Fall 2021, the F1 LT becomes a family of boots with the addition of a women’s specific version of the boot.
- At 930 grams and 100 flex, the F1 LT WMN is an ultralight ski-touring boot that punches above its weight in power and skiability.
- Optimized for ambitious traverses, technical ski-mountaineering descents, or long days maximizing powder laps, the F1 LT combines ultralight features of the SCARPA Alien ski-mountaineering race boots with a more versatile, backcountry-oriented design and the power to drive modern skis.
- The F1 LT is built with Carbon Grilamid LFT, a Grilamid material infused with long carbon fibers which improves power and stiffness while retaining the progressive flex desired for the descent.
- A new upper cuff uses SCARPA’s 3D Lambda Torsion Frame, a design that employs a reinforced I-beam construction with raised ribs of Carbon Grilamid LFT to create lateral stability and downhill performance without having to add thickness and weight to the entire cuff.
- A friction-free ski/walk mechanism offers 72 degrees range of motion and three forward-lean positions.
- The Gaiter Shell construction system uses a new floating Boa closure on the lower boot with an integrated gaiter, providing a custom fit with no pressure points. A fast-buckle upper closure on the cuff pairs with a power strap. Together, these systems ensure quick transition times, superb skiability and comfort.
- The F1 LT and F1 LT WMN retail for $799.