After a long powder-filled snow season, you would be forgiven for thinking the Sun Peaks Resort team would spend the summer biking, playing golf, and making the most of the sun. The reality is quite different though, and Sun Peaks is a hive of activity with many new and impressive projects in full swing.
When you come up to the resort to hike in the alpine or listen to live music, you will see that there is plenty happening on mountain and in the village. It’s all about making Canada’s Second Largest even better!
A NEW LIFT FOR WINTER 2024-25
- In April, it was announced that a new $12 million-dollar West Bowl Express chairlift will open for the 2024-25 winter season.
- Construction is right on schedule with planning, engineering, and most groundwork already complete. Currently, the team is focused on pouring lift terminal and tower foundations and installing the electrical supply.
- The high-speed Doppelmayr Quad chairlift will be located on the upper reaches of Mt. Tod, providing enhanced access to a ski and snowboard area known for quality snow and scenic vistas.
MAKING IT EASIER TO GET ON SNOW
- Vast terrain means that it is easy to find room to move at Sun Peaks. Soon, finding a place to park before your snow day will be easier as well.
- A new parking lot is being built at the entrance to the community, right beside the Burfield chairlift, a local favourite.
- The resort is investing more than $400,000 in the new P1, which will open in time for the coming winter season with space for up to 60 vehicles along with a public boot change and washroom facility.
MORE EMPLOYEE HOUSING
- It takes a strong team to run a world-class destination like Sun Peaks. The need for modern, quality, and reliable housing is increasing as the resort grows, and new employee accommodation will be built to help meet the demand.
- Work currently underway includes digging of the foundation, extension of watermain piping to the site, and the relocation of existing sewer and gas lines. Construction of the 58-unit micro suite complex will start soon and the first units in this $12 million investment are expected to be ready for occupancy by November 2024.
- When finished, housing units in the development will be available to Sun Peaks Resort staff with the goal of creating more space in the village for employees of other community businesses.
NEW LUXURY REAL ESTATE OFFERINGS
- With developments like Altitude and Powder Heights now ready for homeowners, construction efforts are focused on Switchback Creek and the recently announced Alder Estates.
- Switchback Creek is a collection of luxury two and three bedroom alpine homes, just a short walk from the village core. Excavation is taking place on the site with building footings being poured and services installed. Permanent road access to the area will soon be completed and paved.
- Work on Alder Estates, the resort’s newest real estate project, is also underway with services currently being connected to 16 single family lots. Keep an eye out for the launch of this exciting home ownership opportunity later in the year.
NEW FACILITIES AND FUN FOR FAMILIES
- In addition to resort focused initiatives, there are a number of other projects currently ongoing within the community.
- The Sun Peaks Mountain Resort Municipality is completing work on a childcare facility for 45 children. The new centre, located next to the P5 parking lot, is scheduled to welcome local kids this fall.
- This summer, a new playground, family gathering area, and community plaza is being added to the already impressive ice rink, meeting space, and gym at the Sun Peaks Centre. As an extension of this project, brand new tennis courts have also been constructed in the east end of the resort and are now available for play.