W. L. Gore & Associates (Gore) has announced that the consumer business of its Fabrics Division will be introducing the use of expanded Polyethylene (ePE) as a new complementary material platform to serve as the basis for their membrane technologies. Gore’s new ePE membrane will appear in GORE-TEX brand consumer products beginning in the Fall/Winter 2022 season.
Products featuring Gore’s new ePE membrane will be introduced in a selection of consumer-end uses including general outdoor and lifestyle garments, lifestyle footwear and snow sports gloves from select customers including (but not limited to) Adidas, ARC’TERYX, Dakine, Patagonia, Reusch, Salomon and Ziener.
The announcement of Gore’s new ePE membrane reaffirms the GORE-TEX brand’s ongoing commitment to responsible performance – defined by Gore as applying the brand’s unique experience, science and capabilities on a continuous journey to unlock new levels of both performance and sustainability.
Gore applied their decades of scientific knowledge and polymer expertise to discover the combination of the right materials and processes that manipulate ePE into a strong microporous material.
Gore’s new ePE membrane:
- Leverages high strength-to-weight ratio to create extremely lightweight and thin composites that are still mechanically robust.
- Enables durable performance and a low environmental footprint.
- When combined with Polyurethane (PU), the result creates a durably waterproof, windproof and breathable membrane.
- Combination of the ePE material and low membrane mass results in a lower carbon footprint, as measured by Higg MSI.
- Advances Gore Fabrics Division’s goal for being free of PFCs of Environmental Concern* (PFCEC) over the lifecycle of its consumer products.
GORE-TEX brand consumer products that feature Gore’s new ePE membrane will carry the GORE-TEX brand’s renowned GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRYTM promise. Products for additional consumer end-uses (and from additional customers) will be introduced in upcoming seasons.
*advances Gore Fabrics Division’s goal for being free of PFCs of Environmental Concern over the lifecycle of its consumer products. In this case, the goal is accomplished using non-fluorinated materials. https://gtx.is/pfcec