Saturday, 9th Novembers marks the beginning of the 19/20 winter season at Mammoth Mountain, California’s highest four season resort
Coming off one of the longest ski seasons in North America, Mammoth Lakes is ready to do it again. The 18/19 season was record breaking – Mammoth had its snowiest February and May on record, as well as over 700” of snow at the summit.
Riding the wave of momentum that comes with some of the best snowfall in the US, Mammoth Mountain has just replaced it's iconic 24-foot summit sign. With change in the air, discover what’s new in Mammoth for the 19/20 season.
What’s new in Mammoth Lakes
- Canyon Lodge Renovations: Phase 2 of the Canyon Lodge renovation will see multiple improvements this winter with the addition of a new bar, restaurant, 2,500 square feet of interior space and more than 200 new seats. The additions include:
○ Lincoln Bar: Bringing the outside in, Lincoln Bar in Canyon Lodge combines 2,000 square feet of new indoor bar space bar and a fireplace lounge with an outdoor kitchen and bar. Two outdoor terraces will overlook the Canyon base area, serving up California sunshine in addition to a full menu of craft cocktails and an excellent beer and wine selection. The space will also feature a grab-and-go coffee bar to fuel up before getting down.
○ Canyon BBQ: Also located in Canyon Lodge and adjacent to the new Lincoln Bar, this new eatery serving elevated BBQ staples like brisket, pulled pork and ribs will take care of your protein needs. Perfect for grab and go, or enjoying at the neighbouring Beach Bar
- Fowl Language: New this winter at Eagle Lodge, the Fowl Language restaurant will serve up hand-breaded, southern-style chicken sandwiches and tenders, with a focus on fresh preparation and homestyle flavours.
- Sierra Grind: Located in the Village, the new coffee shop will offer a full espresso bar as well as freshly baked pastries, sweets, and a selection of handcrafted sandwiches. The coffee shop is adjacent to Village Gondola and will replace the Starbucks formerly located in the same space.
- Snowmaking: Mammoth’s snowmaking infrastructure will benefit from a $1.3M upgrade, increasing both the efficiency and capability of the system. Early season conditions at Mammoth are routinely among the best in the country, the upgraded snowmaking system will help ensure that moving forward.
- Ski Free: Daily service on United from Los Angeles (LAX) San Francisco (SFO) and Denver (DEN) continues this winter. For the first time guests flying from (or through) SFO and DEN will ski free on the day of arrival starting on Jan 6. Just show your boarding pass at any ticket window to redeem.
Dining around town
- Dos Alas CubaRican Cafe: Located off of Old Mammoth Road with amazing views of the Sherwins, this quaint spot offering tropical/Caribbean and Spanish cuisine informed by the owners’ Cuban and Puerto Rican heritage is a fantastic and heart-felt addition to the local food scene. Open Wednesday through Sunday for lunch and dinner, stop in and enjoy a seasonally rotating menu highlighted by the cuban sandwich.
- Noodle-ly: Specializing in Vietnamese and Thai noodle soup, Noodle-ly is set to open this fall on Old Mammoth Road adjacent to Vons.
- Public House Tap Room: The bar opened in February 2019 and occupies the large corner unit next to Black Velvet coffee shop in the Main Street Promenade (formerly the Mammoth Luxury Outlet Mall). The taproom has a long bar, a lounge area with couches, and an old TV equipped with a Nintendo 64. Owner Lienne Anderten-Smith opened the establishment specifically with the goal of creating a venue to highlight beers from the region. At the Public House it's all about the beer with a rotating selection of 50 beers available on tap. With new selections coming in weekly, there’s something for every palate.
- El Charro Taqueria: The new taco spot has been a local favourite since opening this summer. Serving authentic Mexican street-style tacos and burritos made with fresh ingredients in a no-frills setting, it’s exactly what you want in a taco joint. Located in the Sierra Center Mall.
- Minaret Cinemas: Mammoth Lakes’ movie theatre is getting a major upgrade. Now serving a selection of beer and wine, and with seating upgrades including larger recliner-style seats.
Check http://www.visitmammoth.com/ and http://www.mammothmountain.com for more information
One of the official training grounds for US and worldwide alpine athletes – the American Ski Team calls it home during training seasons – Mammoth Lakes remains one of America’s best kept secrets. Awesome in scale with natural beauty in abundance, winter brings world class skiing and snowboarding; pro-Snowboarder Shaun white even owns a mountain there. With ski season running longer than average – typically from early November until the first week of July – the region also has the highest elevation ski resort on the West Coast of the US. The Eastern Sierra peak has become synonymous with its heart-pumping steep chutes, wide open bowls, gullies and well-groomed trails. The highest ski resort in California, Mammoth’s legendary snowfall provides the perfect winter playground. visitmammoth.com