For first-time skiers, families or groups with a mixed inclination towards the slopes, winter doesn’t need to mean committing to staying in a ski resort: find a perfect balance at a lower altitude, staying on the edge of the beautiful Lake Geneva at Evian Resort.
With its own ski shop for equipment hire, Evian is just a 16-minute drive from ski resort Bernex, near to the Portes du Soleil and its best resorts including Chamonix, the capital of world mountaineering, and Avoriaz. It’s is the perfect compromise for those who want more from their winter holiday than simply carving slopes:
- Ski in the morning before fondue in an igloo in Avoriaz, and by the afternoon you’ll be perfecting your swing in a golf lesson on the world-famous Evian course
- Nourish winter skin with a bespoke Biologique recherche treatment at the Spa Evian Source followed by winter Seasonal Yoga overlooking Lake Geneva
- Get a post-snow culture boost with a walk to a modern art exhibition at the Palais Lumière or an international jazz concert at the Grange au Lac in the town of Evian
- Fly in a helicopter to the best resorts in Italy, France and Switzerland in a day for a no-holds-barred Royal Odyssey experience
For those with an appetite for adrenaline, Evian Resort’s Sport & Culture concierge can put together a bespoke itinerary of high-octane winter adventures, such as:
- Night ski touring in Morzine, wearing synthetic ‘seal skins’ on skis to climb uphill before an untracked, peaceful descent
- Ice diving in frozen mountain lakes, learning advanced skills in diving in extreme conditions
- Skiing the Vallée Blanche, 20km of infamous glaciated, unpatrolled off-piste slopes in Chamonix with a vertical descent of 2,700m
- Winter paragliding over Lake Geneva and its snowy landscape
Evian Resort is one of France’s best places to stay for families, with its huge Kids’ Resort where children and teenagers can enjoy a variety of sports and engaging activities, as well as offering ESF ski lessons in nearby ski resorts for children and teenagers of all abilities every afternoon. After a day out exploring, children and teenagers can unwind with special spa treatments at the Spa Evian Source.
Perched on the edge of Lake Geneva above France’s oldest spa town, Évian-les-Bains, Evian Resort has a long history as an unrivalled retreat for wellbeing and natural beauty. It is still revered by French visitors continuing to seek the restorative powers of Evian’s thermal baths, which have over the past two centuries played host to an illustrious list of visitors, including members of the British royal family, writers and poets seeking solace and serenity.
The resort’s beating heart, the five-star Palace-rated Hôtel Royal, promises awe-inspiring views over the lake and mountains with its award-winning golf-course, Michelin starred Les Fresques restaurant serving local cheeses and wines alongside herbs and vegetables grown in its own kitchen garden, gorgeous Belle Epoque design and extensive Spa Evian Source offering a range of rejuvenating and indulgent treatments.