2019 kicks off the annual celebration of snow sports and the 11th season for Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month. The number 11 is especially significant this year because Friday, January 11 is National Learn to Ski or Snowboard DAY when participating resorts will try to set an industry record for the most beginner lessons provided by professional instructors in a single day. Learn to Ski and Snowboard MONTH runs from January 1 – 31, 2019.
Resorts participating on January 11 are being posted daily HERE. Resorts offering special deals throughout the month of January are listed HERE.
“Newcomers also have a chance to win some awesome prizes by participating in our ‘First Day Faces’ social media campaign,” said Mary Jo Tarallo, Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month/Bring a Friend Executive Director.
“All they need to do is take photos of themselves or with friends and/or family members and post them on their favorite social media platform using#firstdayfaces”, she added.
According to Tarallo, industry research indicates that most people want to learn to ski or snowboard to spend more time with friends and family members. “So we thought this would be a good way to encourage taking lessons from professional instructors”, she added.
First Day Faces Prizes include $250 gift vouchers from Liftopia.com, GetSkiTickets.com, ski.com/snowboards.com and seasonpasssales.com plus a chance to win a Ski-Ring from ski-ring.com. The first four web sites make it more affordable for newcomers to purchase lift tickets. Ski-Ring is a new tool that looks like a steering wheel and helps newcomers learn to ski with the right technique.
Those who help introduce beginners to lessons from professional instructors also can win by taking the Bring a Friend Challenge. Prizes are offered from Head Wintersports, Rossignol, Seirus, Zeal Optics, Kinderlift, Transpack, EuroSock, Elan and Burton.
Because “Humans Were Never Meant to Hibernate,” resorts across the country are ready for the 11thAnnual Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month in January 2019. Most special offers are posted at www.learntoskiandsnowboard.org but many are posted on individual state resort association web sites. It’s the snow sports industry’s initiative to get more children and adults outdoors in winter. Resorts offer their best beginner deals during January but lesson from professional instructors are available all winter long.
NEW: Addition of Nordic Centers that Offer Cross Country Skiing and Snowshoeing.
New in 2019 is the addition to the www.learntoskiandsnowboard.org web site of about 100 Nordic Centers that offer cross country skiing and often snowshoeing. Some locations are participating in the January Special Offers and all are posted in the Find Resorts section of the web site.
Special Offers Available at Resorts From Alaska to North Carolina and Everywhere in Between
The Special Programs/Special Offerssection at Learn To Ski and Snowboard.org provides a sampling of beginner lesson programs broken down in alphabetical order by state. Also, newcomers can use the Find Resorts section’s easy-to-use zip code search to find additional locations near their home. There also is a geographic grouping of resorts on the web site. Not all listings in Find Resorts offer special January deals.
Log On To www.learntoskiandsnowboard.org for additional postings. Some include a “Bring a Friend” component. Individual resort and several Statewide Resort Associations have organized these programs. Most include a lift ticket, lesson with a professional instructor and rental equipment.
- AK: Alaska’s Eaglecrest has an array of January programs including a midweek learn-to package for $44.
- CA: In California, Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows, Mountain High and Snow Valley have posted information on discounted learn-to packages in Special Offers. Mountain High is offering a 2 for 1 deal on their mid-week half-day beginner package. Buy one and get one free. Also, the Blue Angels Youth Ski and Snowboard Youth Group has a multi-day program for youngsters. Other California resorts offering special programs are Tahoe Donner, China Peak and Homewood.
- CO: Arapahoe Basin is offering deep discounts on first time lessons in January. Powederhorn has FREE first-time lessons, rentals and lift tickets on Sunday mornings throughout the season. Breckenridge Nordic Center is offering discounted snowshoe lessons in January. Copper Mountain Resort has a 1st Timer Adult full day group lesson at half day rate = $138.57 This price includes surcharge, lift ticket and rental not included • 1st timer Adult PM half day group lesson at 50% = $69.28 This price includes surcharge, lift ticket and rental not included • Offers valid January 7th – January 31st , 2019 except for designated blackout dates. Aspen Snowmass offers first time packages for adult beginners. Come learn in one of the most pristine settings. We will take our time with you and pace the progress. Sunlight's package includes three days of 2 hour lessons, equipment rental and lift tickets. Plus, you a get a free 5-Day ski pass once you’ve completed the lessons. Cost is $395! The three 2 hour lessons can be taken on the dates of your choice. Steamboat has a WEB SPECIAL: TWO DAY NEVER EVER (Ages first grade to Adult)for First Time Skiers & Snowboarder. Included for the two full days are instruction, gear rental, and lift tickets. Available from January 5-31 Vail is offering all-day lessons for skiing and snowboarding: Alpine ADULT FIRST TIME SKI SERIES THREE CONSECUTIVE DAYS FOR NEVER-EVER SKIERS LESSON TYPE: Group LIFT & LESSON PRICE: $458 LESSON DURATION: 9:45am - 3:30pm; SNOWBOARD ADULT LEARN TURN RIDE THREE CONSECUTIVE DAYS FOR NEVER-EVER SNOWBOARDERS LESSON TYPE: Group LIFT & LESSON PRICE: $458 LESSON DURATION: 9:45am - 3:30pm
- IA: Seven Oaks includes a free beginner mini lessons with a lift ticket purchase.
- ID: Idaho’s Lookout Pass offers a $99 package valid any 3 days this winter and includes 3 days of lift tickets, 3 days of rental equipment and a 1.5hr group lesson on each of the 3 days. There is a special return offer for those that want to keep skiing after their first 3 days on snow. Lookout's second offer is a $59 1-Day learn to pkg that includes a Lift ticket, Rental equipment and a 1.5hr group lesson. Also on Jan. 11th Lookout is offering a $25 - 1st Timers learn to ski or ride package.Bogus Basin is offering a beginner package for $69 in January. Silver Mountain has $2 beginner lessons and rentals in January with the purchase of a lift ticket. Brundage has such a wide variety of beginner programs during January it is best to go straight to their web site.
- MA: In Massachusetts, adults or children ages 7+ can learn to Ski or Snowboard for $75 at Ski Butternut. Elsewhere in the state, Wachusett’s beginner learn to ski or snowboard costs $99. Its award-winning Bring A Friend For Fun Package includes a lift ticket for someone and a Beginner Package for a friend (lift ticket, lesson and rental) for $110! Notchview Nordic Center is offering discounted learn-to cross-country ski programs all month, with extra special offers on January 11th. At Jiminy Peak, for the month of January, you can reserve a Get 1 Skiing or Snowboarding lesson any non-holiday, Sunday-Friday, including 2-hour lesson, a novice area lift ticket and rentals for just $49.
- ME: At Sunday River, find many discounted beginner packages all season, including midweek $59 lesson, rental and lift. Lost Valley is offering 2-for -1 lift tickets when you introduce a friend to skiing in January.
- MI: Over 50 resorts across Michigan participate in the MI Snow Sports Industries Association’s “Discover Michigan” program that is affiliated with Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month. Beginner Alpine ski and snowboard lessons cost $35 and cross-country lessons cost $20. Several Discover Michigan resorts also have listings at Special Offers including Caberfae Peaks and Treetops Resort. Crystal Mountain is also on the list with a 3 lesson, 3 rental and 3 lift ticket package for just $99 (January 7-31st). Complete all three lessons in January and purchase a discounted season pass for just $99 PLUS get a $100 gift certificate toward at 2019/20 Season Pass.
- MN: In Minnesota, Giants Ridge and Wild Mountain have discounted beginner lesson packages as well as great 2-for-1 deals in January. Buck Hillhas a Beginner's Special, $39 for a group lesson for individuals 13 and up! Fasst Kids Program for learning to ski and snowboard. Call the ski school to register! Spirit Mountain is offering on January 11 a Learn to Ski and Snowboard Day $45 Package includes a beginner area lift ticket, ski or snowboard rental and 1.5 hour beginner lesson
- MT: Showdown Mountain is offering its Take 3, Sundays Free. For first time skiers and riders ONLY. Take 3 days of lessons & after completion of 3rd lesson get a Sunday Season Pass for the remainder of the 2018-19 ski season. This package also includes rentals and a lift ticket.
- NC: North Carolina’s Cataloochee is offering a $59 beginner package Monday – Friday beginning Friday, January 6, 2017, and Wolf Ridge has $40 midweek beginner packages in January.
- NH: Discounted beginner packages abound at resorts across New Hampshire. Bretton Woods Ski Area and Nordic Center will offer a discounted or complimentary introduction to Alpine or Nordic Skiing in January. Several programs are offered. At Cranmore, you can reserve a Get 1 Skiing or Snowboarding lesson any non-holiday, Sunday-Friday, and get a 2-hour introductory lesson, a Beginner Basin lift ticket and rentals for just $39. At Great Glen Trails every Mon/Wed/Thursday first time skiers may receive a 75 minute lesson, rentals (incl. all ski boots poles and trails pass) Minimum age is 6yrs old for just $29.Jackson Touring Center is offering a $19 Learn To Ski (Regularly $45), Must register at least 24 hours in advance by calling: 603-383-9355. LImited. Offered Sun - Fri, non-holiday. Jan. 6 - 31. (Excludes: Jan. 12, 19, 20, 21, and 26). King Pine is offering a limited amount of $39 beginner lessons during the month of January, excluding Holiday periods and weekends. The beginner package includes equipment rental as well as a 10 a.m. morning "first-timer" lesson with an instructor and access to the beginner terrain and is available for ages 8 and older. Pat’s Peak has a "First Timers" program for Ages 6+. You can purchase a $39 Starter Special Package, which includes a Beginner Group Lesson, Rental Equipment, and Full Day Lower Mountain Lift Ticket (8:30am-4pm). This offer is only available on Mondays (not available on 1/21/19) and Tuesdays during the month of January 2019. Ragged Mountain's Bebe Wood Free Learn to Ski & Ride Program is a fun and easy way to learn without any risk to your wallet. Program includes: - 3 lessons for first-time skiers and riders only, ages 7 and up. - Includes Rossignol rental equipment and lower mountain lift ticket. - Lessons run approximately 2 hours. - After your lesson, keep practicing for the rest of the day for only $20. And there is more.
- NJ: Mountain Creek is offering 2-for-1 midweek beginner packages for $99. Mountain Creek offers Terrain-Based Learning.
- NM: KOAT 7and Ski New Mexico resorts are offering $50 Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month first-timer packages at their eight participating resorts: Angel Fire Resort, Pajarito Mt., Red River Ski Area, Sandia Peak Ski Area, Sipapu Ski Resort, Ski Apache, Ski Santa Feand Taos Ski Valley
- Northwest Rockies: Learn to Ski or Ride at Ski NW Rockies resorts with the EZ 1-2-3 Learn to Ski or Ride program. Each offer includes 3 lift tickets, 3 lessons and 3 rentals for beginners from youth through adult.
- NV: Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe is offering $99 First Time Ski or Snowboard Packages that include beginner lift ticket and rental equipment for the day for ages 10+. Offer available online only with advance purchase. Jan 7-18/Jan 22 – Feb 1.
- NY: Belleayre has a first-time skier or snowboarder program for ages 13 & up! The package includes a beginner lift ticket, 1.5-hour class lesson, and beginner rental. The resort recommends its 3-day program and you'll receive a Frequent Skier Card* giving you discounts and bring-a-friend perks all season long. Holiday Valley is offering a half priced Learn to Ski or Snowboard Package including lesson, rental and beginner area lift ticket. Age 12 and up, 1.5 hour Lessons available at 10:30 or 1:30 special price is $33.50. OR 1 hour night lessons at 5:30, 6:30 or 7:30 special price is $24. Also, January LTS month lodging package at the Inn at Holiday Valley includes a free learn to ski package with midweek stay. Maple Ski Ridge has several learning programs and one six week lesson package starts between Jan. 5 - 11. Oak Mountain has a Bring a Friend Program! Bring a Friend and have them take a LTS/ LTR lesson and then you get a 1/2 off voucher for your next visit! Take a LTS/ LTR Lesson for only $45. Thunder Ridge has discounted lesson lift and rental packages for ages 4 and up. Available both weekend and mid-week. Peek in’ Peak is offering a 50% discount off a Learn to Ski or Snowboard beginner package. Package includes all day beginner area lift ticket, all day equipment rental and a 1 1/2 hour first time lesson for ages 12+. Special price is $24.00. The resort also has a Bring a Friend offer. Toggenburg is celebrating on January 11. and Windham has a First Timer Package for $99. It includes access to 5 learning area lifts, lesson & rental equipment including a helmet. You can learn at your own pace in our Terrain Based Learning (TBL) environment. The ISkiNY association is hosting a “Discover New York Day” on Thursday, January 17th, with participating resorts’ lesson packages starting at $25. At Gore Mountain, first-time skiers and riders ages 13+ can package together a one-day ticket, rentals, and 90-minute lesson for just $79! We offer beginner lessons at 9:45am or 1:15pm daily. Greek Peak has a $49 beginner package during January for ages 7 and up. The Learn to Ski or Ride program is a group lesson. Mt Peter has a variety of beginner packages including a Saturday night Learn to Ski or Snowboard program. Bristol Mountain has a $59 lift lesson, rentals beginner package for those age 13 and up. Also check Special Offers.
- OH: Snow Trails has a Beginner’s lesson, lift and rental package for $61available for Purchase 1-7-19 through 1-31-19.
- OR: Oregon's Mt Hood Meadows offers a 2-hour lesson for $59 if purchased online. Mt Hood Skibowl is offering from January 7 - 31st, a two-hour first timer group lesson, including lift ticket and rental equipment for only $39.
- PA: Ski PA is offering a $5 discount on beginner lessons mid-week/non-holiday at their 19 member resorts. Several PA resorts’ individual offers are posted in Special Offers including BearCreek, Blue Mountain, Elk Mountain Resort, Jack Frost/Big Boulder. At Bear Creek every Wednesday during the month of January, you can purchase a Learn To Ski or Ride package for only $49! Offer valid 1/2, 1/9, 1/16, 1/23 & 1/30 Applicable to guests ages 8 and up Must purchase package at Guest Services window Subject to availability. Blue Mountain has a program on weekends in January (minus MLK weekend) - the Family & Friends group Lesson Experience for $179.00 This includes 3 people ages 6 & up with a beginner lift tickets, equipment rentals, and a 1.5 hr lesson. Package normally sells for $199.00. Valid during January on the following days: Jan. 5 & 6, Jan. 12 & 13, Jan. 26 & 27th. Elk Mountain has several beginner programs for all ages. Jack Frost/Big Boulder offers a Beginners only program Every Tuesday in January $50 Learn to Ski/Ride Package. Package includes a restricted lift ticket, lesson and rental. Ages 13 and over. Not valid for the SnowMonsters children's program. January 1st is excluded. At Liberty Mountain Resort you can Learn To Ski or Snowboard for only $55 on Thursdays all January! Packages include a beginner area lift ticket, rental equipment, helmet and a 'First Time' lesson. This package is available for ages 8 and up., Roundtop Mountain Resort has a $55.00 Learn to ski or snowboard packages every Thursday in January. Ages 4+ for skiing, 6+ for snowboarding. Includes a beginner lift ticket, class lesson and use of rental ski or snowboard equipment. Seven Springs, Ski Shawnee has a $79 Beginner Packages that will be offered January 2 through January 31, 2019 (excludes Jan. 19 & 20, 2019). This package will include a lift ticket, equipment rental and beginner group lesson. Shawnee also has a Bring a Friend offer. Ski Big Bear celebrates Mondays and Thursdays in January! Bring a friend on a Monday or Thursday who purchases the discounted Learn to Ski/Snowboard Package (valid for Suface Lifts only) and receive 50% off your lift ticket for the day. One reduced lift ticket per Mondays and Thursdays in January! Bring a friend on a Monday or Thursday who purchases the discounted Learn to Ski/Snowboard Package (valid for Suface Lifts only) and receive 50% off your lift ticket for the day. One reduced lift ticket per person. No other discounts apply.person. No other discounts apply. At Tussey Mountain, beginner lift, lessons and rental equipment are offered every Sunday for just $55! Lessons offered at 11am, 1pm and 3pm. No need to preregister, just sign up when you pay in the Ticket Office at least 30-45min before desired lesson time. Whitetail has Learn to Ski or Snowboard Packages for everyone ages 8 and up are only $55 every Thursday, beginning January 3rd and running the entire month of January! Mom & Dad, we will even toss in FREE Child Care with purchase of a 'Learn To Ski or Snowboard' Package! $55 Learn to Ski & Board packages are valid for an all day beginner area lift ticket. No reservation needed! Packages include a beginner area lift ticket, rental equipment and a 'Learn To' lesson.
- RI: At Yawgoo Valley, first-timer ski or snowboard lesson packages are $39. Includes a 75-minute group lesson, lift ticket until 9pm and optional rental equipment at no extra fee. Valid for 5pm-9pm sessions on January 5, 12, 19, or 26 of 2019.
- UT: In Utah, Alta, Beaver Mountain, Brian Head, Brighton, Deer Valley, Eagle Point, Nordic Valley, Park City, Powder Mountain, Snowbasin, Snowbird, Solitude and Sundance all are part of the Ski Utah Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month promotion starting at $49. The program is for Utah residents. Additional offers are listed in Special Offers for Deer Valley, Solitude, Eagle Point and Powder Mountain.
- VA:The Omni Homestead has a family Learn to Ski and Stay package during January.
- VT: Learn to Ski and Snowboard Package specials are available at several areas. Bromley has a program for ages 13 and up! This deal is good for a one day limited (lower-mountain only) lift ticket to Bromley, Vermont's Sun Mountain, plus a ski or snowboard rental package and a special "First Timer" beginner group lesson, all for just $49. Killington is celebrating with $69 Learn-To packages! •1-day packages will include a lesson, rental equipment, and a limited Learning Area lift ticket for first-time skiers and riders ages 7 and up. Not valid Jan. 19-21. Mt. Snow has a ! $49 Learn to Ski or Ride package: ages 13+, includes lower mountain lift ticket, lesson, and rentals (not valid 1/19/19-1/21/19). And a similar offer if you Bring a Friend. Stratton'sLearn to Ski and Ride packages provide beginners with a 1 3/4 hour lesson, complete rental package and a learning area lift ticket, for just $99. After your lesson upgrade to a full mountain lift ticket for $20. For ages 13 and older. And for cross-country skiing. the Trapp Family Lodge Adult Beginner Group lesson 10:00 and 1:00 $49.00 for rental, lesson and trail fee. Children's beginner group lesson 11:00. Call 802-253-5755 to reserve space. Jan. 12 Special Beginners Bus Trip to Mt Snow- Join us for a family friendly coach bus trip to Mount Snow in Vermont from West Springfield, MA. Pricing options are for Adults and Children 13+ $15 - Bus Only $65 - Beginner Package (Details below) $65 - Bring A Friend (All Mountain Lift Ticket & Free Bus Ride) Beginner Package - Learn to Ski (LTS) and Learn to Snowboard (LTR) are introductory packages that include bus transportation, a 2-hour group clinic, full-day equipment rental and lower mountain lift ticket. A Bring a Friend offer is available. The Vermont resort association has a state-wide program. SkiVT says the majority of our member resorts will be offering $49 beginner lesson during the month of January, excluding Holiday periods. The beginner package includes equipment rental as well as a lesson with a professional instructor (lesson duration varies by resort) and access to the beginner terrain. Due to the deeply discounted price, we will only offer one beginner package per person. These packages are for BEGINNERS ONLY and for the 2018/2019 season. Visit https://skivermont.com for a list of participating resorts with details and instructions for reserving your lesson. Most reservations must be made 48 hours in advance of the desired lesson start time.
- WA: In Washington state, White Pass and Mt Spokane are participating in the EZ Ski 1, 2 3 program that also is offered by a coalition of resorts known as Ski the Northwest Rockies. The program includes three days of lessons, lift tickets and rental equipment. 49° North is excited to provide a great discount for lessons for adults and youth! Our Learn To package will be $79, which includes a lift ticket, rental and 2 hour lesson and its EZ 123 package at $129, which includes three days of lift tickets, rentals and a 2 hour group lesson. Also there is a discount of $10 off each EZ 123 package if someone purchases two or more. 49° is also offering a Season Pass Bring a Friend for Free Day on Jan. 22nd.
- WI: Sunburst has a family learn to ski program for $160. Cascade is offering two special programs in January. Learn A Lifetime Sport: A four session learn-to-ski or snowboard program for first-timers - Offered: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday in January. Price: $49 + tax for ages 8-17 $99 + tax for adults Price includes 4 night lift tickets, 4 rental packages with helmet and 3 lessons. SECOND OFFER: Learn to Turn: Provides you with everything you need to learn how to ski or snowboard! The Learn to Turn package includes a day/night lift ticket, ski or snowboard rental, and a beginner group ski or snowboard lesson.
- WV: At Canaan Valley Resort, Learn-to packages including lift ticket, ski or snowboard rental and introductory group lesson valid weekday non-holidays are $59 for juniors and $89 for adults. West Virginia's inverted resort - Snowshoe - also has a special "learn to" offer with its winter camps in January. Winterplace has a $99 Learn-to-Ski 3-visit Package. Package is available online only from January 1st to January 6th 2019! Includes 3 Lean-to-ski Packages ( including a beginner lift ticket with lower mountain lift access, a group lesson, and ski or snowboard equipment rentals per visit.
- WY: Grand Targhee Resort is teaming up with Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month with the 1-2-3 Learn to Ski & Ride Program. $399 package includes three 2-hour group lessons, daily rental equipment, and all-day lift tickets, good on Shoshone and Papoose. Upon completion of your third lesson, you’ll receive a 2018/19 winter season pass.